Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Multiplicity of Smells

I was interested in what Ulmer said in our last meeting that orality is aural, literacy is visual, and electracy is haptic. As I was going back to my ArKive of Smells in Gainesville, I stumbled across the book I made for that class. I took it upon myself for my project to snap a picture as soon as I smelled something new. My olfactory bulbs fatigued throughout the day, so the images were frontloaded from the day where I smelled something new every minute and by the end, once every few hours. As I go back and read my short descriptions next to the photos, much like Wenders' approach, I can recall some of the smells very clearly, (ones that I encountered not just on that day but for two years), and ones that I cannot "smicture" (that is to say picture the smell, recall it, remember it). 

www.esneeden.com/photobooksmellsfinale.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment