Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Krispy Kreme









In order to photo local, I had to go back and remember what drew me in the first place: I came to Gainesville to be a photography major and work with Jerry Uelsmann. He had retired even before I got here in 2008 but I still thought I loved Black and White Photography. My graduate instructor told me to go out into Gainesville and really notice what affected me. The Hot Now Sign of course. Krispy Kreme was a reminder of family road trips to North Carolina (we have no Krispy Kreme in SW Florida). The smell, the touch, the taste of Hot Now Krispy Kreme doughnuts is part of my Proustian madeline. I suppose this might seem sad or silly, but the Krispy Kreme doughnut for me is a time machine: it takes me back to simpler times when I didn't pay bills or worry about driving. I was content to be in the backseat and consume. Krispy Kreme itself is a time machine; not much has changed since the company started decades ago. The images above that I took in 2009 could just as easily be from much longer ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment