Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Prezi

As I mentioned in my email, my first attempt at this experiment perhaps relied too heavily on the Tarot reading; I was forcing the square pegs in the round hole and, as you could have guessed, no aura emerged. I went back to my notes from last class and recalled this visual I got of a new search interface; instead of searching based on tags provided by users uploading the content, wouldn't it be cool if the metadata saved from each image captured via ubiquitous technologies (ie. Smartphones) could identify the location at which you took the image? Then, via an uploading photograph sharing site like Flickr, you could identify other photographs taken by other people in the near vicinity. This could have positive or negative effects on Tourism, but as Ulmer stated, we want to share with people what they need to know about Alachua County. It's one thing to read about Gainesville, (literacy, institution of school, True/False), and quite another to see the images (electracy, institution of internet, Pleasure, Pain).

As I was re-collecting for my second attempt, taking one step back from the heavy reliance on the Tarot, I finally noticed what so many of my images had in common: visual texts or signs. Oftentimes, the signs were left as messages for people of the future to read. This is a way our consciousness can time travel: I scribble a note on a bathroom wall, or an old wooden classroom desk, or I create a meme to be sent out through the institution of the internet, and someone I will never meet will read what I left behind. "Warning," "No Trespassing," "You poisoned Xanadu, you ass!" "Life is a box and we are all going to die," "Keep calm and call Batman," and "Life is a mystery worth the terror and uncertainty." Some of the messages refer to our embodied pleasure/pain scale, but others tap into our untouchable "feeling" of limit. I did not add any captions to the images because the literacy relics ie. warning signs, graffitied desk and graffitied bus, have been subsumed into the imagery in my electrate experiment. The only bits of text are nods to the books we read throughout the semester in the Related Searches field and final words from my tutor William Blake on embodiment, pleasure and vices. I set the tone with the background music, the score to Psycho (my film to be represented). Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome.

http://prezi.com/qulmf2mzghtj/konsult-machine/

No comments:

Post a Comment